I am sure that people are booing me right now, but I have finally come to love, yes love, Spongebob Square Pants. I was one of those parents who swore up and down that I would NEVER let my kids watch that show. I didn’t fully understand a sponge living under the sea in a town called Bikini Bottom, with a best friend Patrick and a pet snail called Gary who meows, but I tell you what, the show is one of the few television shows I let my girls watch.
Now, I know that people will argue the pace of the show may be too fast, or that there are silly antics and crazy stuff, but when I lined up all the “G” programming, I will pick Spongebob any day of the week.
Here are the following 10 reasons why I like Spongebob as a role model and the show itself:
- Spongebob always acts from a good heart.
- Spongebob is never evil or intentionally malicious.
- Spongebob is not spiteful.
- Spongebob is a true friend.
- Spongebob thinks of others and their happiness.
- Spongebob has a great work ethic and is very conscientious and enjoys working at the Crusty Crab.
- Spongebob always tries his best, and if he doesn’t succeed he will try again.
- There is very few bad words unlike some other shows. There is the occasional “stupid” but nothing more that I hear on other children’s programming.( or dare I say out of my mouth)
- There is no “tween” talk or inappropriate behaviors going on between the sexes.
- Spongebob makes you smile.